Monday, August 30, 2010

The Missing Laptop

A little nippy out there this morning. Quite a bit nicer now though. Doesn't look lik the garden veggies took one for the team yet, but I think they know their time is up soon. I believe the temperature was down around 3C, about 36F. Yikes! It's still August!

The wife called me this morning as soon as she arrived at work. She forgot her laptop here at home, so she asked I take it down to her. No problem, but I had to give O her breakfast first which consisted of mushed up bananas, figs, half of a Kiwi, a little prune juice and some rice cereal. Went down alright I guess, but she wasn't too hungry at that point. She must have ended her latest growth spurt. A couple times I thought she was going to blow up with the amount of food she was ingesting. She was almost eating more than me and didn't have a problem doing it! 

Took off for the big buildings downtown and O passed out well before the first set of lights, about 1/2 mile. Arrived at Mrs. Urban Eaters office, which incidentally was the first time I was able to see it. Nice, very nice. Corner office with a nice view of the core around her. A couple of brand new buildings across the street. I'm very happy for her and very proud of her as well. She has worked very hard for this. I brought O up with me and a few of the women in the office were all over her. "Oh my God, is she ever cute!" The kid is a rock star in Pampers.

The wife is very lucky as she is about a 3 minute walk from The River Cafe, among a few choice other things. Anyone who I have ever talked to about this place, says it is one of the best restaurants anywhere (http://www.river-cafe.com/index.php). This was the first place she ever took me to celebrate my birthday together with her. Pretty impressive as they grow a lot of their own herbs right there at the restaurant, and are as close to self-sustainable as you can get. They buy pretty much everything local.

It was a few years back, but if I remember correctly, we started with the Wild Boar Prosciutto and Arugula Flatbread with a balsamic reduction drizzled over top. Ahhh, yummy. For the life of me I can't remember what I had after that. I think she had the halibut. I may have had the Pearl Barley Risotto, but who knows. It was all fantastic, I definitely remember that for sure. We were there recently for her new companies "Yay! We are officially in business now!" function. Fresh oysters, Wild Boar Prosciutto accompanied with 5 different cheeses, Champagne, and 5 different bite-sized appys. Fantastic! And the real cool thing was, I didn't feel too full afterwards. Now that's a party and a spread I like. Great atmosphere, some extremely edible choices staring you down from their platters and you don't feel overly full when you leave.

After looking around the kitchen briefly, tonight I think I will cook Mario Batali's "Escaped Clams". Not too sure why he thinks this dish smells like seafood without the seafood, but who am I to question him? All this dish consists of is tomatoes, garlic and prosciutto over linguini. I try to eat garlic at least 4 times a week. It's very good for you. They say it puts lead in your pencil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Garlic). Chop up the tomatoes into bite size chunks. I use Roma usually, but whatever you have on hand will be fine. Put them in a bowl and salt them to bring the juices out. Be careful not to use to much salt as the prosciutto is quite salty. Get a frying pan on the stove over medium low heat. Crush the garlic and set it aside. Cut the prosciutto into strips about 1" long and 1/2" wide or thereabouts. Again, whatever size of pieces you like will be fine. Start cooking the pasta. Drizzle a couple of tablespoons worth of EVOO in the pan. Let it heat up and put in the prosciutto. When it starts to turn translucent or a little grey, add the garlic. Stir it around so the garlic flavors the oil. When the pasta is done, move it into the frying pan along with the tomatoes. Stir to incorporate all the flavors. Put it all in a bowl, grate a little Parmesan over top and sprinkle some parsley over it all. I eat this a lot and quite enjoy it. You can add some chili's or pepperoncino if you want a little zip. A little heat is always good and healthy. The worst thing in this dish is the pasta, so feel free to use whole wheat, if you wish. Remember, if you make a mistake or add something you like to a recipe, you just made something new, that's all.

Snack time for little O. Gotta run now.

Until next time, good eating everyone.

Mark

No comments: