Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Visit With The Farmers

The frost was ever so close last night. Temperature was down around 2C or 36F. Had to go outside at about 3 AM to drop off a bag of O's goodies in the trash can, and noticed the leaves on the zucchini plants had dew on them. We didn't even cover up our tomatoes! Tonight we will for sure. They are so close to being ready to pick, I can almost taste them.

The Mrs. came home a little late last night due to work commitments, so dinner was a little late as well. O had to be fed first. And as always, I wait for Mrs. Urban Eater to get home so she can feed her. That is their time to hang out together after a long day for both. I run around helping so they can chit chat about the day. O's dinner consisted of a cube each of broccoli, sweet potato and carrot. Additions were the usual EVOO, sea salt, fresh ground pepper, rosemary, Italian parsley and thyme. Lots of flavor and will help her little body grow and stay healthy. We had the Mario Batali dish "Escaped Clams". Tasty as usual. I failed to mention in yesterdays blog that if you choose not to have regular pasta, there are more options than this and whole wheat. You could also choose spelt, rice or corn pasta. All are good options if you can't eat or choose not to go with the others.


Last week, I went to two different Farmers Markets. The one by our house, Kingsland Farmers Market (http://www.kingslandfarmersmarket.com/) was the first one. Pretty impressive for a start-up. The vendors are all certified organic or at least pesticide free. We went to buy a flat of peaches for O to chow down, but the lady advised us to come back as they were having a special starting this Wednesday on a flat of them, 20lb's I believe, for $20. I will have to check with the wife on that as she was the deal maker there. We ended up buying a loaf of sourdough bread and some Roma tomatoes. The Roma's were a nice size, bigger than the ones we usually buy in the grocery stores. I'll give them a good home. :)


Sunday was the Calgary Farmers Market day (http://www.calgaryfarmersmarket.ca/). We were looking at getting a couple of papayas, but they didn't look so hot. Hold off on that one. But, the red onions were looking nice, so they made the grade. The apricots and red plums also were up to par, so they came home with us as well. The wife cooked them up last night and jarred them so they would be edible for little O. We save the juice the fruit is boiled in as well and use that as an ingredient for her food. The organic whole grain rice cereal soaks it all up as to make a nice gooey paste with some chunks. She rarely leaves any behind.

This week we will be busy as the summer growing season is soon coming to an end. We have to decide what comes out of the garden and into the freezer. All this is mainly for O. It will stay frozen for no more than a month as it tends to go bad after that, so I've read. Shouldn't be a problem with her. She's a good little eater and will get rid of it all. A couple of friends have mentioned this all seems like a lot of work. They weren't serious, of course. I just say it's ok as it's just something we do. Truth be told, my wife and I figured if we make the commitment to bring a life into this world, then we better make a commitment to do the right thing for that little entity, and we can start her life out properly by making the right nutritional choices right from the start. I know a lot of people just do what's easy. Boxed pasta, canned pasta, boxed or canned anything. Not under our roof. If you make it routine, then it becomes easy after a while. It's that simple. Throw in some exercise 4 or 5 days a week and taking her outside with us at least 5 or 6 days a week for a walk, all 3 of us will be better for it. I learned to cook at a high level and took a lot of time to understand food and what it can do for me, so I'm not going to stop now. O will have to learn all about food and health starting when she can talk. I never had that option, so it's the least I can do.

Support your local farmers markets. Your body will thank you for it.


For those of you in the US, the 20th annual Great Tomato Tasting is on in Pittstown, NJ (http://www.snyderfarm.rutgers.edu/html/GTT10/Event-GTT-10-contents.html). I would love to go to this one day. I could eat tomatoes everyday of my life and not get sick of them. Lycopene is extremely important and your body shouldn't go without it (http://healthfood-guide.com/tomatohealthbenefits.aspx). In Nova Scotia, the annual Wild Blueberry Harvest Festival is on all through the central valley (http://wildblueberryfest.com/). If you're in the area, go stock up on some antioxidants (http://www.blueberrycouncil.com/nutrition.php).

As this blog carries on, I will try my best to add recipes for everything I can. I am new at this and am trying to make this daily (well, we'll see about it going out everyday) more accessible to everyone. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I will do anything it takes to spread the good word on healthy eating. I started out at square one not knowing much about food or cooking. If you want to eat healthy, it doesn't have to be bland or tasteless. I learned how and so can you. I'm here to help.

Until next time, good eating everyone.

Mark

No comments: