Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Back At The Stove Again

Back in town and had some time today to work on a couple of more recipes seeing as it was another day to stay inside. Where did our summer go?? It hardly even came around! I think we have had approximately 20 days since the beginning of June which were over 20 C or 68 F. Not fun.
 
Today was the day I tackled a case of plums to blanche and freeze for Little O to eat at a later date. It took around an hour or so to take care of. Kind of tedious as the plums had to be cored, blanched and cooled off in cold water before being put into a bag for freezing. I didn't mind so much as I had a little help.


The trip back to the hometown was fun, but long. Golfing was great, the family was great and the garden was looking pretty good. Lots of corn came out of there this year as usual. My Uncle G gave me some to take home with me, so I had a cobb today. That is some of the best corn I have ever had. I wish he could send me some everyday. A little butter and sea salt and I'm good to go. Corn on the cobb is also quite healthy (http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=90), which I never really thought about. We also shave off the kernels and cook them with various dishes. This always adds a nice, fresh flavor to whatever you are making.


I also took home a nice haul of fingerling potatoes, carrots and a Hubbard Squash. Can't wait to cook the Hubbard as I have never tried one before, especially homegrown. He threw in a couple of gourds as well, but I'm not too sure if there is anything I can do with them besides put them in the middle of the kitchen table like my Mom used to.


I also had the chance to cook a Spaghetti Squash as well today. Tomorrow I will talk about that and give you one of my recipes I use for it. This is a great way to enjoy a nice pasta dish without the weight of the actual pasta itself. Spaghetti Squash needs flavor added to it and that's always the fun part, as you will see.

Today's quote:

My doctor told me to stop having intimate dinners for four; unless there are three other people.
- Orson Welles

Until next time, good eating everyone.

Mark
 

No comments: