Friday, September 10, 2010

A Bit Of A Break

Today I am heading off to my hometown for a couple of things. Firstly, my mothers side of the family is having a corn roast at the family ranch outside of town where there is a whole lot of space with no one around to bother you. That is something you don't see very often, if at all anymore. Great spot to go ponder life and get away from it all. No big city lights to ruin the view of the stars No main street vehicle noise to drown out the stillness of nature. If yo take a short walk, there are some great vantage points to see some beautiful scenery out there. At on point, you can see three rivers coming into one. I love being out there.

Secondly, I am in a golf tournament. Don't worry, I can't compete in the good ones as I have only golfed 4 or 5 times this year. Who am I kidding, I can't compete with those guys who golf 50-100 times a year! If I break 85, I'm a pretty happy guy. This is a memorial tournament for a dear old friend who passed away a few years ago now, so I try not to miss it if possible. I learned a lot from him about what happens in the food industry on a day to day basis on the business side. Good guy to know as he had a great sense of humour and a big heart. I go up every year to pay my respects to him as he was a great help to me at certain points in my life.

The healthy eating may take a sideline for a day or two, but I will still put the effort in to see if there are any good restaurant's there yet who don't bow down to the public and serve something fresh and decently healthy. I hear there is a new Indian place there, so I may get a shot of curry in at some point. I think the sushi place is still open, I hope. I could eat sushi at least 5 days a week. Love it! The day after O came into this world, I went to pick up her and Mrs. Urban Eater at the hospital. I asked if there was anything she wanted to do on the way home. She said emphatically "I haven't ate sushi for almost nine months. I want sushi right now!" Who am I to argue with a person so lovely to never raise her voice to me and wants to eat sushi? Little O's first step out into the real world was into a little Japanese restaurant so her mother could satisfy a craving for raw fish.

Little O's menu

I haven't fed little O yet today, but the past couple of days, she has been steady on the banana's, yogurt and the juices from the fruit we poach for her for breakfast and desserts. For the main meals, steady as well with on the sweet potato, carrot and zucchini side with a small swing towards a little of the lasagna sauce once or twice.

I will do my best to post some pictures of the corn roast this weekend. I always like this as the garden out on the ranch is pretty significant. It's not as large as it used to be when my grandparents were still alive to tend to it. My uncle and his girlfriend still do a pretty good job taking care of it and putting on the the big show every year around the long weekend in September. This year it's a week late as the kids going back to school put too much pressure on people showing up for the regular time slot. It will be good to see everyone who shows up and I'm sure there will be some funny stories told as usual.

This week will return with a few great recipes to tell you about. Now, I'm off to see if I can get a hole in one. Haha, yeah right. Good one.

Today's quote:

"I don't like gourmet cooking or "this" cooking or "that" cooking. I like good cooking."


James Beard



Until next time, good eating everyone.

Mark

No comments: