Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cornish Game Hen With Blueberries

When I first started cooking at a higher level, I went on a blueberry kick where I tried to make as many things as I could with them. I tried all sorts of different ideas from salads and smoothies to chicken breasts. They were all pretty good for the most part, but I saw James Barber (The Urban Peasant, and no I didn't copy the name...) make this or something similar to it. It was so long ago that I almost forgot about it.

Little O really likes her blueberries, so I thought since we are trying to get her to eat more protein, this may be one idea to try with her. I have made this a couple of times for Mrs Urban Eater and myself now. We both enjoy it very much, so now's as good a time as any to give it a try. Blueberries add a nice flavor and color to the hens and are a good source of vitamin C and antioxidants. Anytime I can add the combination to food, I'm all for it. And if O likes it, all the better.

This is an easy dish to whip up, so here you go.

Ingredients

- 1 Cornish game hen
- 2 cups frozen blueberries
- EVOO
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper

Directions

1. Heat a pot or Dutch oven up over medium high heat. When hot enough, add enough EVOO to make sure the hen doesn't get stuck to the bottom of the pot.
2. Sprinkle salt and pepper over the bird and put it in the pot. Let it brown for about 4-5 minutes then flip it over to the other side. Salt and pepper that side as well.


3. When the second side has been browning for 4-5 minutes, pour in the blueberries and put the lid on.


Turn the heat down to medium low and let simmer for 20-25 minutes.
4. When finished, take out of the pot and let it rest for 5-6 minutes before cutting. Pour a little of the sauce and berries over top of the bird and serve.
Yield: Serves 2. I cut it in half.

For a side, I cooked some broccoli. I just boiled it in some water with a small splash of EVOO for flavor and a dash of salt to keep it green and make the juices come out.


I know I'm an advocate for steaming vegetables, but I ran out of steaming vessels, so this will have to do. You work with what you have, right?

I served this over a mix of 2 small steamed and mashed Yukon Gold potatoes and a sweet potato. I added a little EVOO, salt and pepper, 1 tsp butter, 1/2 tsp fresh nutmeg and 1/4 cup of grated Parmesan.


Little O's Menu

It's nice to see she's back eating a lot again, as I've mentioned. She's been gorging on all kinds of fruit like red grapes, kiwi fruit and blueberries. These are all very healthy additions to her diet and will keep up her vitamin intake. Kiwi fruit are high in Vitamin C and have quite a bit of fibre and phytonutrients as well. Grapes are loaded with manganese and polyphenals. These will help our little girls body grow up healthy and keep her heart and lungs in good shape.


Restaurant Review

This weekend, an old friend of mine came to town and asked me to meet up with him and a buddy for dinner. I'm always up for that, so away we went. Nolan said he wanted to eat something which wasn't what he was used to seeing in our home town where he still resides. We were going to go for sushi at first, but decided on going to a nice, upscale eatery instead as the limo (yeah, he ordered a limo, big one too. Great ride.) pulled up in front of the place to stop for the light. We figured this is where the bus stops, so let's get out here. The name of the place was Murrieta's. Nice place, located upstairs in the old Alberta Hotel Building on Stephen Avenue. Always a good atmosphere to dine in, live bands playing on the weekends as you eat and drink while not blasting you out of your seat.

We started by ordering a half dozen oysters, then another dozen. They didn't last long, so that meant they were pretty tasty as usual. Next we had the Alberta Beef Tenderloin Tartare and the Pacific Crab Cake which was also nice. Nolan then ordered the Steak and Lobster and I believe his pal had one of the pastas and I had the Chorizo Flatbread. All were outstanding. Before, during and after the food, we were drinking an Argentinian Malbec, Quattrocchi Reserve 2007. After two bottles of this we ordered another different one. Sorry but for the life of me I can't remember what the hell the name of it was. Not a dinner for the faint of heart! I never go out like this anymore, which is probably a good thing for my body and brain. Good food, good drinks and good people at our table and all around us. It was a fun night and I'm sure we'll do it again in the future. I recommend going to Murrieta's for dinner when you get a chance.

Quote Of The Day

"You ought to have seen what I saw on my way
To the village, through Mortenson's pasture to-day:
Blueberries as big as the end of your thumb....."

~ From the poem "Blueberries" by Robert Frost (1874-1963) American poet.


Until next time, good eating everyone.

Mark

2 comments:

Merut said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Healthy Eater said...
This comment has been removed by the author.