Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Tomato, Prosciutto And Mozzarella Sandwich

I love a good sandwich, but I hardly ever eat them. Over the years I've had a few fantastic, mouth watering offerings like the one I had at Schwartz's Deli in Montreal a couple of years ago, but it seems like the best sandwiches are the ones you make yourself. I like to make them on a whim as I'm usually in a hurry if I'm making a sandwich, and just look around the kitchen to see what I have on hand and make something I think would be good to eat.

Over the years, I have experimented with various different ingredients. When I was about 16, I made a peanut butter and pickle sandwich as I heard they were good. Awesome. If you're not adventurous, then you may never find out what tastes good and what doesn't. I hate throwing food away, but sometimes even a starving person shouldn't be subjected to some of the things I have attempted. Around the same time as the pickle incident, I came home from a party and was quite hungry. I looked all through the kitchen to see what my mother had for groceries and nothing clicked. I was going to give up, and then envisioned cheese slices, bread, peanut butter, crab apple jelly and chocolate syrup all together. Wow, what a bad idea. The next day I told my mom about it and I thought she was going to kick me out of the house for being so stupid. Needles to say, I haven't tried anything that dumb since. Gone are the days of making abstract sandwiches.

Keeping fresh produce around is an important part of eating and staying healthy. It also helps when you are looking around for ideas. If you eat bread, buying different types and flavors of loaves is also a helpful thing as you can really get your creativity going when you want to make anything, including a great sandwich. Today as I was trying to figure out what I wanted on my plate, I noticed I had two loaves of bread out, a whole grain and an olive loaf. The whole grain was almost done, so it was best to finish it off first. Next, there were a couple of tomatoes in a bowl on the counter we picked up this weekend at the farmers market. In the fridge I found a little prosciutto and a tub with some fresh mozzarella in it. Got it figured.

Ingredients

- 2 slices of bread
- 2 slices of prosciutto
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 2 slices of fresh mozzarella
- a schmear of mayonnaise and Dijon or grainy mustard
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- EVOO, the good stuff
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste

Directions (if you really need them...)

1) Spread the Dijon and mayo on the bread
2) Slice the tomato


3) Place the tomatoes on the bread and sprinkle a little salt and pepper on them


4) Lay the prosciutto over the tomatoes and place the cheese over top of that


4) Pour a little EVOO over the cheese and sprinkle the rosemary over top. Eat.


You could consider this comfort food, I guess. I like to eat this when I'm hanging out with O at home or with the Mrs. It's simple, quick and it hits the spot. Using good EVOO makes a big difference as it pairs up well with the tomatoes. I would normally use fresh basil for this but I ran out yesterday, so rosemary was a nice substitute. I don't normally use mayonnaise for anything, but it was there so I grabbed it. Dijon is something I try to use a lot of as it is a good source of selenium, and has anti-inflammatory properties. It also helps me out when I'm having issues with my allergies. After I take a bite I take a deep breath. The mustard helps open up my lungs like I was in a steam room. Take advantage of it when you get a chance to use it, on whatever it is you're eating. There's a reason why it outsells ketchup 2-1.

Little O's Menu

We found some natural yogurt with fruit at Costco this weekend. This is perfect as we can take it with us on the run without making up a cup ourselves. There's nothing I can't pronounce on the ingredients list, but there is cane sugar in it which is actually good for you rather than the normal refined sugar. There aren't any words ending in 'ose either, meaning fructose or glucose. I try to stay away from anything like that as they aren't good for you to be eating. They come in individual 175 g (6 oz) cups and she just about finishes it all herself. Great deal for her and us.

Foodie Happenings

A friend of mine who owns several liquor stores here in town has been helping out with a few things as I am looking into starting a wine importing business. He asked me to go along with him to Vinitaly in Verona starting on April 7th. If you ever want to know anything more than you know now about Italian wines, this is the place for you. I think this is an event I really should be attending, but a certain little person in my life makes this trip a no-go for me this time around unfortunately. John has promised me he will meet with some of the winemakers there in my absence to see how they operate and to try their wines, and I am very grateful for this. I look forward to seeing what information he brings back for me.

Quote Of The Day

"There's nothing like unrequited love to take all of the flavor out of a peanut butter sandwich."

~ Charlie Brown (Cartoon character in Charles M. Shulz's comic strip, Peanuts)


Until next time, good eating everyone.

Mark

No comments: