Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Mediterranean Frittata

The first time I made a frittata was about 16 years ago. Since then, I have only made it 3 or 4 more times, maybe because I'm not a big omelet-type guy. I can't explain why because I think they are easier to make than an omelet . I like my eggs just as much as the next guy, but I eat them in moderation. If I eat eggs, I like to add flavor to them and around them, such as my Eggs In Purgatory. But, I figure it may be time to start making frittata's more often than omelette's around this household as there's a little more flavor in them than the latter, in my humble opinion.

The best frittata I have eaten anywhere is at a place in Banff called Coyotes. I haven't seen many places put a frittata on their menu, but these guys have 4 and they all look very good. This made me think I should be more inventive at the stove for breakfast. The good thing about a frittata is you can make it interesting and it can keep you interested. What I mean by this is the flavors are more pronounced in it due to the fact there is more cooking involved, so if you aren't paying attention, your frittata could very quickly be a dark brown Frisbee.

Preheat your oven to  400 F (205 C), if you're baking the frittata

Cooking time approximately 15-25 minutes (depending on if you bake or broil)


Ingredients

- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red pepper, finely chopped
- 10 grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 large tbsp goat cheese
- 1/2 tsp water
- EVOO
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste

Directions

1. Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium low heat. If you use low heat, this will help the eggs set up nicely on the underside without burning. Prepare all of your vegetables and set them aside on the cutting board.
2. Break the eggs into a bowl.


Add the water and whisk until it look frothy on top. Set aside.
3. Add EVOO to the pan and let it heat up for a minute. Add the onions and a little salt and pepper. Stir until they start to turn color. This is a good time to set the oven to boil.
4. Add the red peppers and keep stirring for one minute.
5. Add the tomatoes and mix them in with the other ingredients.


Add the eggs and a little more salt and pepper.


Pinch the goat cheese between your thumb and pointer finger a little at a time and spread it around the top of the frittata and immediately put it in the oven.
6. When the top of the frittata looks a little brown and no longer looks wet, it's done. Slide it out of the pan onto a cutting board or plate. Cut into wedges or eat it whole.
Yield: Serves 1


I don't use a non-stick pan very often, but in this case using it helps limit the amount of oil you use. Another ingredient to use with this recipe is artichokes. They go very well with all of the other ones and add a nice texture. Baking this is a good idea, but I was looking for quick today so under the broiler it went. When I make this next time, there will be some artichokes going on top as they would make the dish a whole lot tastier.

Little O's Menu

Apples are becoming a big hit now. She doesn't like the skin, but she can gobble up about half of one now. We buy the organic red apples from the farmers market and likes it when I take a bite of the apple and peel off the skin before I give it to her. Hopefully she can move on to a Granny Smith next, but I'm not going to rush her on that. I'll stick to putting them in my Curried Butternut Squash Soup and feeding them to her that way for now.

Restaurant Review

For my birthday dinner, Mrs. Big City Eater took me out for a nice meal. She left the decision up to me, so I chose to go to The Ranche, a nice place set in the south end of the city in Fish Creek Park. It's kind of in the middle of nowhere, but well worth the drive. The building looks like an old homestead which has been fixed up. We walked in the front door and were a little confused as to where we had to go, but we figured it out eventually. The restaurant is a nice, open room painted in earth tones and covered with lots of wood. Sweet place for a meal with your wife.

We started off with a bottle of 2007 Blasted Church Merlot from the Okanagan Valley in British Columbia. Been to that winery so I thought we would re-visit it by having one of their bottles. The meal started off with the Rocky Mountain Charcuterie Board.


Our waiter said it was more than they usually put on there because it was almost overloaded. We were fine with that and couldn't even finish everything for fear of not being able to finish off the main course. I like ordering charcuterie boars as they give you a chance to mix and match the ingredients to see what taste comes from it.

The main course arrived in a timely manner. The wife had Stilton Crusted Roasted Lamb Rack,


and I had the Grilled Alberta Beef Tenderloin.


Both dishes were cooked to perfection and full of flavor. This is one place where we will be returning. The only knock we had against the place was that it was quite loud in the room. Not a big issue when the food is this good. If you get the chance, check out The Ranche. You will not be disappointed. The pictures were taken on the wife's Blackberry as I don't believe in going for a nice dinner and lugging my Nikon D80 around, taking pictures and generally bothering everyone around us.

Quote Of The Day:

"No clever arrangement of bad eggs ever made a good omelet."
~ C.S. Lewis (1898-1963) British scholar and novelist


Until next time, good eating everyone.

Mark

No comments: