Thursday, October 13, 2011

S'mores: Not The Regular Way, My Moms Way

When I was growing up, my mother would make us treats on Friday or Saturday nights. One was French bread with Cheez Whiz and bits of ham put under the broiler, the other was s'mores, these s'mores. They both came with a cup of hot chocolate and a hockey game, movie or boxing match, which was usually Muhammad Ali and/or one of the other bigger names. She wasn't Julia Child or anything close, but it was still good and we always looked forward to it.

I went on a school field trip in grade seven with the rest of my class, and the first night we had a campfire. "Let's make some s'mores!" my teacher bellowed. I thought "How the hell are we gonna pull that off?!??!?" He brought out some Graham Crackers, some Aero Bars and some marshmallows. WTF?? All the other kids were looking at me like I had a sudden growth pop out of my face or something. I said "Those aren't s'mores..." They all looked at me and said collectively "Yes they are! What's wrong with you?" Ok, now I was so unspeakably lost, I couldn't think straight. I thought s'mores were s'mores, and you are probably saying the same thing right now. I just called my mom and asked her where she figured this out and she said her mom used to do it. So there, old family recipe. Haha...

This isn't too healthy, nor will I try to pawn it off as such. This is something we used to enjoy on cold nights where you didn't really want to be outside. Take it for what's its worth, a little treat you can't eat like a vegetable (which should be all of the time, by the way), but eat it only once in awhile, which makes them more enjoyable and your conscience won't keep you up at night.

I have made these for many non-believers and turned them into believers. So, before you write these babies off, give them a chance and try them. No one I have ever made these for has uttered any profane or foul words towards the negative side. All comments have been positive and most have made them themselves.

Ingredients

- marshmallows
- cheddar cheese
- Ritz Crackers

Directions

1) Turn the oven to broil. Place as many Ritz crackers on a baking sheet as you like.
2) Slice the cheese so you have as many pieces as crackers
3) Cut the marshmallows in half to equal the amount of crackers
4) Place the cheese on the crackers followed by the marshmallows




5) Place under the broiler and broil until desired color of the marshmallow is achieved
6) Pig out, man.
Yield: Depends on how hungry the cook is. :)


Ten minutes and you have yourself a little snack. You can't eat healthy all of the time. Besides, a little treat once in a while is a good thing. Moderation...

I tried these with organic white cheddar, and it didn't taste near as good. I've also tried other crackers and come to the same conclusion: stick with the stuff that works. It may not be the best choice for your health, but who cares if you only eat them once every five or six months. Live a little.

Little O's Menu

Our little Tomato is still stuck on her pasta kick. We have been giving her tri-colored gemelli (spinach, beet and tomato) made by Prairie Harvest. It's organic and she loves it, so I'm not going to be the one to say "Sorry, can't eat anymore more of this." We cook it, throw in a little EVOO to lubricate it so it won't stick together and feed it to her. When it cools down, we put it in the fridge until next time. It's extremely quick to prepare after that. Just throw in some fresh ground pepper, some Parmesan or the cheese of choice that day, and away we go. She will eat about five to seven ounces every time she sits down.


Quote Of The Day:

"Nothing would be tiresome then eating and drinking if God had not made them a pleasure as well as a necessity"

~ Voltaire (1694-1778) Pen name for Francois-Marie Arouet, French Enlightenment writer, historian and philosopher

See?? Someone else agrees with me too. And he's a lot older than me.


Until next time, good eating everyone.

Mark

No comments: